A settlement of around 25 dwellings. It houses the school, the church and
the pub, making it the focal point of the parish. The church was built in 1856/57 by William White
and consecratedin 1857. Until
1874 Smannell parish was part of the parish of Andover but it became an independent when the
railway line was built to form its southern boundary. The Church of England school was built
The name “Smannell” may derive from the old English 'Smethenhyll' – “(at the) smooth hill', a reference
to the gentle rise near Finkley farm. By 1652 the name had become Smanhill (Coates
1989), although the 1810 Ordinance Survey map quotes the name as Swanhill.
Smannell is situated in an ancient river valley and at the junction of 5
old roads (one now a footpath) to Andover, Finkley, Stoke, Little London and
The style is mixed with some buildings from the mid 1800’s to post World
War II council houses and some more recent developments.